Monday, August 15, 2011


Progress is moving right along.....The inside is painted! whew! and the boom a rang laminate is on the counter!!!! WAHOO! Guess I should back up a little...
We went with a light grey for the walls and white on the wainscot.

This is the future home for the a/c located under the rear bed.
So much has been done and yet so far to go...... (sigh) BUT.... such visible progress now!

Monday, July 18, 2011

There is a light at the end of the tunnel

Wood went up last night! YIPPIE!!

Found a great clearance item....We decided we probably wouldn't be doing much (if any) baking and opted for this little gem. This will give us more storage as well.

We have also decided on painting....I know I know....but the expense of replacing ALL the wood panel
when it's not needed....just didn't make sense.  The wood grain is so different and 48 years of varnish (even sanded)....... sigh........

Baby it's HOT outside....

Well as hot as it's been we've managed to get quite a bit done on the overhaul.
We decided to replace the original vent with a Fantastic Fan Vent.

Removed the old bumper

Insulation in the front half is all in!!!  ( I know this pic doesn't show it, but trust's installed :-0 )
And...the wiring is finished except the rear tail lights.

We've added a few outlets (the outlets incorporated in the light fixtures look a little sketchy....ok a lot sketchy).

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

this weekend comes to a close....

Quite a bit accomplished yesterday. The front window came out without a hitch.
the ceiling vent didn't have the same luck. Had to pound and tug some on one side.

we are going to keep the original vent system (high tech that it is) just polish it up some. It's original.....
so the rest of the day went well....more replacing, more bracing, more head scratching....did they really just get these things out the door??? or were they built flimsy to bounce easier going down the road????

we added this support for the table to attach to on each side. and finished the frame around the vent

next stop......the rear wall! really hope there isn't a can of worms waiting for us back there......

Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 2 .... a week later

Well day 2 is in the books. As we are weekend warrior renovators and our weekend starts on Sunday....I say we but it's really my husband (I'm the go-for, hold this here and document-er part) HE replaced the rotten frame under both front side windows. 

and after

the original parts of the frame are just water stained and still solid.

Taking the window out was great fun....did I hear 8 thousand screws???? maybe it was only 18 screws....but it felt like 8 least it was just across the bottom on this side.

We have decided to stay with the goucho style seating in the front. It's seems to be the less popular floor plan from what I've found so far. I guess that's why we like it.
Today's mission.....remove the front window. We did get lucky I think. We will only have to replace the back window and one missing louver. All the rest are in good shape.
Ugh! what a slow process this "behind the scenes" build is. But it's necessery. The fun part will come soon enough.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A little catching up

So my husband found this lovely little 1963 Shasta at a swap meet last fall. I thought he was a little I too have Shasta fever!

We even used her as a Christmas decoration in the front yard!

Jumping forward to spring.....

Last weekend we pulled her back out and over to the shop and emptied her out. We got lucky with this old gal....Not much rot in the frame. Just in the usual places, around windows and ceiling vent. The floor is even in good shape. Wahoo!

This weekend will be all about taking out the water tank and replacing the rotten frame.